Sunday, January 4, 2009

Our first real blog

This is a picture of Dad and
Bandit in North Dakota
pheasant hunting in Dec
2008 after spending Christmas
at Sally and Neal's in Billings. We are on a North Dakota WMA area that is open to the public. We drove in to the area and started looking for pheasants and found some in the Russian Olive shelter belts. We figured out a game plan to hunt the area and then the work began as we hiked through knee deep and deeper snow and drifts. I shot one bird in the tree line and the rest flew different directions. While my hunting partners Blair Dance and Leo Castagno were working their way back to the truck, Bandit worked across a snow filled ditch. Bandit dove under a big bunch of trees and brush while I waited on the road. After about 5 minutes he flushed a nice big rooster out to the right that I dropped in the snow. Bandit went back in the brush and flushed out a rooster to the left that I missed. Bandit couldn't get back to me through the snow drift with out me pulling him out by the collar. He worked really hard for us. He was rewarded that night with lots of scraps from dinner and a nice warm place to sleep.

2 comments:

Our Family said...

nice picture dad. looks like a fun trip.

The Shaw Family said...

Sounds like Bandit did a great job. I'm glad you had fun on your trip.